Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The big move

Buying a home, packing, and coming down with a really debilitating case of the flu has left very little time for my art.  Still slowly plunking away at my circle series, although I must confess that I've barely worked on it.  I had been listening to an audiobook of the Odyssey while working on one of the pieces, and now that it's over I feel oddly unmotivated.  Something about the ancient adventure epic poem thing was very fitting during the process.  Maybe I'll just have to get the Iliad now.

The place that I'm moving into has an office space that will work wonderfully as a studio, and I greatly look forward to building some big canvases and getting my oil painting on.  I'm a little concerned about fumes, as the room is basically attached to my bedroom, but hopefully i'll figure something out.  Maybe I'll use the second bedroom in the meantime until I find a renter.

After I get somewhat settled and begin working more or less full time again, I'm going to investigate local galleries.  I'll certainly update on that front should anything good happen.

On a final note, I had been taking a life drawing and ceramics class for fun while I've been in LA, and am incredibly sad to end that.  I would very much like to continue working with clay, and will certainly investigate my options on the east coast.  I have always loved ceramics, although I think I tend to treat it more as a craft than art, which is fine by me.  Just because something isn't based on lofty ideals doesn't mean that it's not beautiful, useful, or worthwhile.  God, I love the feel of clay.

1 comment:

  1. Phil introduced us to your blogspot. We've enjoyed reading through it especially "Sappity Sap". Did you read the New Yorker Dec. 09 on "Hearth Surgery". I think you'd find it interesting given your experience with a smoky outdoor fire for cooking.
    Write on!
    Michael & Mary Beth Shwayder

    ReplyDelete